My Chicago Bibliography
I don’t live in Chicago. I visit often, and I read about Chicago a lot. I collect books on the city–pictoral, encyclopedias, food tomes, etc. Here’s a list of books in my collection.
Maps & Photography
- Chicago Then and Now, Elizabeth McNulty
- Chicago in Maps 1612 to 2002, Robert A. Holland
- Chicago from the Air, Antonio Anttini and Marcella Colombo
- Lost Chicago, David Garrard Lowe
- Chicago: Rising from the Prairie, Richard Cahan
- The Lost Panoramas, Richard Cahan & Michael Williams
Reference & Nonfiction (including Narrative Nonfiction)
- City of Scoundrels, Gary Krist
- The Encyclopedia of Chicago, edited by Grossman, Keating & Reiff
- The Devil in the White City, Erik Larson
- City of the Century, Donald L. Miller
- Sin in the Second City, Karen Abbott
Fiction & Poetry
I have books by Christina Henry and Jim Butcher, both set in Chicago, in my stack. However, I try to avoid reading genre fiction set in the city so that I don’t inadvertently take material/ideas that belong to others.
Tour and Travel Guides
I have lots of these, including:
- NFT (Not For Tourists) map book
- Chicago (Frommer’s, DK and Compass American)
- Chicago Day by Day (Frommer’s)
- eat. shop. chicago
Do you have recommendations for books I should add to my list? I love getting new ideas, so feel free to let me know in the comments!